IGF Code (Basic)
This course provides education and training to all seafarers responsible for designated safety duties associated with the care, use and emergency
response of vessels using fuels within the IGF Code.
Course duration is 3 days. The course covers those parts of the Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency (KUP) requirements specific to fuels covered within the IGF Code, as set out satisfying section A-V/3 –paragraph 1 of the STCW Code, Function: Operation of ships subject to the IGF Code.
Content of the Course
- Ship design and operational characteristics of ships subject to the IGF Code
- Ship’s fuel systems and fuel storage system
- Operation of fuel and fuel storage system
- Physical properties of fuels
- Safety requirements and safety management
- Hazards associated with operations on ships and Hazard control
- Fuel characteristics and Gas measuring instruments
- Specialized safety equipment and protective devices
- Safe working practices and procedures and First aid
- Fire organization
- Special hazards associated with fuel system & fuel handling
- Firefighting agents and methods used to control and extinguish fires in conjunction with the different fuels
- Firefighting system operations and Emergency procedures and ESD
- Measures to take in the event of leakage /spillage/venting of fuels
- Firefighting operation
Course Approval and Certification
Finnish Flag State; delivered in cooperation with Aboa Mare.
All seafarers who handle gas and low-flash point fuel vessels.
3 working days