Leadership and Teamwork (Human Element and Leadership Management)
The course is intended to provide a person with knowledge, skill and understanding of leadership and teamwork at the operational level on board a ship.
Course duration is 5 days.
Content of the Course
- Cultural awareness, inherent traits, attitudes and behavior, cross-cultural communication
- Shipboard situation, informal social structures on board
- Human error, situation awareness, complacency, boredom
- Leadership and teamwork
- Int. maritime conventions and national legislation, emphasis on human factors
- Ability to apply task and workload management
- Human limitations, time and pressure constraints
- Workloads, rest and fatigue
- Management (leadership) styles, challenges and responses
- Effective communication
- Allocation, assignment and prioritization of resources
- Assertiveness and leadership, motivation, short and long-term strategies
- Situation and risk assessment, selecting course of action, evaluation of outcome
- Decision making and problem-solving techniques
- Authority and assertiveness, emergency management
Participants should be familiar with shipboard operations to understand that leadership and teamwork is an essential part of their role on board at the operational level.
This course is approved by Finnish Flag State.
Deck and Engineer Officers at the Operational Level.
5 working days